Parish Church of São Martinho
This church was founded by Afonso Anes,and there is an estimated guess that it was built either on the first or second quarter of the 17th century,in the vicinity of where the old parish church used to sit, although there are no precise details on record.
The reduced dimensions of this temple and the progressive growth of population in the parish ,made it obligatory for a new church to be built. Thus, on the 8th of July 1883,the first stone was blessed and placed, on the initiative of the vicar Manuel Pinto Correia, with the help of public funds and private contributions. Alas, a few years into its construction, the works were interrupted due to lack of funds.
In 1907,this is 20 years later, the parish benefactor José de Abreu passed away, having willed most of his fortune to the parish, making it possible for the priest Teodoro João Henriques to proceed with the construction works which were only concluded much later, under the guidance of the priest Eleutério Caldeira. The consecration of this new church took place on the 24th of June 1918.
- Saint John the Baptist:23rd and 24th June
- The Holy Spirit:20th and 21st June
- Saint Martin:10th and 11th November
- Our Lady Patronage: on the Sunday nearest to Saint Martins celebrations.
- By jfsaoma
- Email: email@example.com